8.E.1 Understand the hydrosphere and the impact of humans on local systems and the effects of the hydrosphere on humans.
Explain the structure of the hydrosphere including
Water distribution on Earth, Local river basins, and water availability
Summarize evidence that Earth’s oceans are a reservoir of nutrients, minerals, dissolved gases, and life forms: estuaries, marine ecosystems, upwelling, and behavior of gases in the marine environment, and deep ocean technology and understandings gained
Predict the safety and potability of water supplies in North Carolina based on physical and biological factors, including: temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, nitrates and phosphates, turbidity, bioindicators
Conclude that the good health of humans requires:
monitoring of the hydrosphere, water quality standards, methods of water treatment, maintaining safe water quality stewardship
1. How do factors interact to determine the distribution of water in the hydrosphere?
2. How does the water cycle affect water distribution on Earth?
3. How do river basins affect water availability?
4. What are the oceans made of and how do we know?
5. How do Earth's oceans affect other marine and land ecosystems?
Essential Questions Cont.
What I Know
What I Need to Know
How Water Works
Water Properties One-pager
The Bounding Main
The Properties of Water
The Wondrous Water Lab
What is the Hydrologic Cycle?
The Water Cycle